Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Regula pastoralis
- Regula pastoralis
- Gregory I, Pope, ca. 540-604
- Published / Created
- [between 1150 and 1200]
- Publication Place
Manuscript on parchment of Gregorius Magnus (Gregory the Great, pope 590-604), Regula pastoralis.
Binding: Nineteenth century, England. De luxe, gold-tooled green morocco over cardboard; each cover framed by rich gold-tooling imitating the decorated initial on f. 1v; turn-ins gold-tooled. Gold-tooled spine with repeated motif in the same style and title: “GREGORII / PASTORALIS / M.S.”. Gilt edges.
Collection of Sir Thomas Phillipps (MS 14872).
Headings in red, missing from f. 12v onwards. 1-3-line plain initials in red of various shades. On f. 1v very large (c. 25 lines) decorated Romanesque initial “P” in red.
Holes and defective corners, many repaired; the lower margins of ff. 63 and 91-92 are repaired by means of a strip of parchment; the lower margin of f. 93 is cut off. The manuscript is heavily trimmed at the top. First and last pages very soiled.
Script: Copied by various scribes writing Praegothica, difficult to distinguish from each other because of the uneven level of execution of their hands.
- ff. iii + 93 + ii : parchment ; 205 x 140 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 846
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Gregory--I,--Pope,--ca. 540-604
- Subject (Topic)
Fathers of the church
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Theology--History--Early church, ca. 30-600
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Gregory the Great, Regula Pastoralis. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)
- More Information