Syriac-Armenian lexicon : manuscript
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Syriac-Armenian lexicon : manuscript
- Syriac-Armenian lexicon : manuscript
- Ephraem, Syrus, Saint, 303-373.
- Published / Created
- 17th century.
- Publication Place
- Place not identified
Syriac-Armenian lexicon (pages 4-199), with the Armenian written in Syriac script, consists mainly of an alphabetical list of verbs in various forms. The lexicon is preceded by poems of Barhebraeus (pages 1-3), and followed by: 1. Poem on the "Life of Saint John", son of Euphemianus, of the city of Rome (pages 200-216). 2. "On the transit of the Mother of God Mary from the world" (folios 216-231). 3. "Syriac-Armenian glossary" of verbs in the imperative forms, conjugations of verbs, pronouns, etc. (pages 231-241). 4. Prayer of the solitary monks (yíḥídāyē) to each other (page 241). 5. Poems by Saint Ephrem: Commandments and admonitions for Christians (pages 242-286). 6. Prayers and miscellaneous statements in a different hand (285-286). The lexicon seems to have been written for the benefit of Syriac speakers within Armenian communities. Name of copyist and place and date of copying not mentioned probably from the 17th century
In Syriac and Armenian in Syriac script.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Romanization supplied by cataloger.
The dictionary starts with: "Eštbíw. Talnúsān ..."
The poems of Barhebraeus start with: "Qúm tāʼ aḥún kašrútā lak hā mṭāyibʼnā ..."
1. Poem on the "Life of Saint John", son of Euphemianus starts with: "Kātbínan tašʻítā d-Māry Yúḥanān bar ʼÚpímyanús d-men Rúmí Mdíntā b-níšā d-Māry Aprém Súryāyā ..."
2. On the transit of the Mother of God Mary from the world starts with: "Túb seprā da-štā ʻal šúnāyeh d-Yaldat Alāhā Maryam d-men ʻalmā hānā ṣlútah ʻaman. Āmín ..."
4. Prayer of the solitary monks (yíḥídāyē) to each other start with: "Ṣlútā d-nemrún yíḥíyāyē la-ḥdādē: Alāhā d-barek la-Šlíḥāwhy qadíšē mbarek lak ..."
5. Poems by Saint Ephrem start with: "Ḥúr b-Alāhā ḥabíbay d-madnaḥ šmšeh ʻal bíšē ..."
Prayers and miscellaneous statements in a different hand start with: "Ematy d-qāymat b-ṣaprā men šentā pšúṭ ʼīdayk la-šmāyā ú-sím tlātā búrkē l-apay madnḥā ú-ʼemar ...
10.5 x 15.5 cm; written surface varies ; lines per page vary.
Binding: In wooden cover.
In clear West Syriac script, in black ink on cream color paper, markings in red.
Inside the front cover: An erased note (four lines).
On page 285: An erased note (one lines): "Šlem ktābā ..." (The book is completed ...).
Many of the pages in the latter half of the manuscript include marginal glosses giving the Armenian renderings of words occuring in the Syriac text.
- 1 volume (144 leaves) ; 16 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Syriac MSS 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Early works to 1800
Manuscripts, Syriac 17th century
Manuscripts, Armenian 17th century
- Resource Type
- Subject (Name)
Ephraem, Syrus, Saint, 303-373.
Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint
- Subject (Topic)
Prayers and devotions
Ephraem, Syrus, Saint, 303-373
Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint > Assumption > Early works to 1800
Syriac language > Dictionaries > Armenian > Early works to 1800
Armenian language > Dictionaries > Syriac > Early works to 1800
Monks > Prayers and devotions > Early works to 1800
Syriac poetry > Early works to 1800
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Syriac-Armenian lexicon. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)