The whole booke of psalmes faithfully translated into English metre
- The whole booke of psalmes faithfully translated into English metre
- Alternative Title
- Bay Psalm book, Bible. O.T. Psalms. English. Bay Psalm book. 1640, and The whole booke of psalmes faithfully translated into English metre : whereunto is prefixed a discourse declaring not only the lawfullness, but also the necessity of the heavenly ordinanc
- Day, Stephen, 1594?-1668, printer, Eliot, John, 1604-1690, Mather, Richard, 1596-1669, and Weld, Thomas, 1590?-1662
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- [Cambridge, Mass.] :
- Imprinted [by Stephen Daye],
- The first book printed in British North America, commonly known as the Bay Psalm book.
"Faults escaped in printing."--p. .
Printed at the press in Cambridge, Mass., supervised by Stephen Day (variously Daye). Day's son Matthew may have been responsible for the actuual printing.
Provenance: Thomas Prince, Old South Church, Edward A. Crowninshield, Henry Stevens, George Brinley, Cornelius Vanderbilt, Mrs. Alice Gwynne Vanderbilt, Mrs. Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney Trust, The Rosenbach Company. Binder's stamp: Bound by F. Bedford. Bookplate: Brinley 847.
Signatures: *-2*⁴ A-V⁴ W⁴ X-2L⁴ (2L4 verso blank).
The first book printed in British North America, commonly known as the Bay Psalm book. Translated by Richard Mather, John Eliot, and Thomas Weld, among others. The preface is usually attributed to Mather, but this is disputed by Zoltan Haraszti, who attributes it to John Cotton. Cf. Haraszti's, The enigma of the Bay Psalm book, 1956, p. 12-27.
The Prince-Crowninshield-Stevens-Brinley-Vanderbilt copy, listed by Wilberforce Eames (The Bay Psalm book, being a facsimile reprint ... with an introduction by Wilberforce Eames, New York, 1903) under no. 2 (p. xi-xii). For a full description see The Yale University Library gazette, XXII, no. 3, p. -76.
-  p. ; 18 cm. (4to)
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- MLm405 640b
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Books, Journals & Pamphlets
- Subject (Name)
Crowninshield, Edward A.,--1817-1859--Ownership
Old South Church (Boston, Mass.)--Ownership
Vanderbilt, Alice Gwynne--Ownership
- Subject (Topic)
Bible OT Psalms --Paraphrases, English
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- ESTC (RLIN) W15144, Evans 4, and STC (2nd ed.) 2738
- Orbis Record