Ambrotype in a case, of seven men, identified as prominent San Francisco businessmen
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Ambrotype in a case, of seven men, identified as prominent San Francisco businessmen
- Ambrotype in a case, of seven men, identified as prominent San Francisco businessmen
- Vance, Robert H., 1825-1876
- Published / Created
- ca. 1855-56
- Publication Place
- San Francisco
Full brown leather case with geometric and scroll motif; imprint on velvet pad of case, "R.H. VANCE'S / PREMIUM DAGUERREAN GALLERIES / SAN FRANCISCO / SACRAMENTO / MARYSVILLE".
Possible identifications for individuals include, top row, from left to right, the first man, Cornelius Cole, John D. Fry, or Charles Bull Crocker; second man, William C. Ralston or Henry Huntley Haight; third man, Cornelius Kingsland Garrison or Thomas H. Selby; bottom row, left to right, first man, Ben Holladay or Joseph W. Winans; second man, William Walker or Ogden Hoffman; third man, William Tecomseh Sherman, Darius Ogden Mills, or William Sharon; fourth man, Henry Huntley Haight, Edward J. C. Kewen, or Sam Ralston.
Whole-plate clear glass ambrotype with asphaltum backing (tissue adhered); mat missing; partial seal.
16.5 x 21.5 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- WA Photos 402
- Collection Title
- Peter Palmquist cased photographs collection
- Collection/Other Creator
- Palmquist, Peter E., collector
- Collection Date
- ca. 1845-1899
- Container / Volume
- Box 6
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)