- Cecco, d'Ascoli, 1269-1327
- Published / Created
- [between 1400 and 1450]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on paper (polished) of Cecco d'Ascoli (Francesco Stabili), L'Acerba, Bks. 1-4 with the final 214 lines of Bk. 4 and all of the fragmentary Bk. 5 missing.
Binding: Nineteenth century, Italy. Vellum stays adhered inside and outside of quires. Backs of quires cut in for original sewing. Bookblock tacketed to a semi-limp paper case, reinforced at the spine. Handwritten paper label with title and a printed medallion with Flora (?) standing on an anchor and globe (?), both on spine.
Blue initial, 6-line, with nice penwork designs, f. 1r. Smaller initials, 2-line, red with purple designs or blue with red designs, alternate throughout. Headings in pale red. Paragraph marks alternate red and blue. Later addition of arms in lower margin, f. 1r, effaced and covered with mending strips.
Purchased from B. M. Rosenthal in 1959 by Thomas E. Marston.
Script: Written by a single scribe in mercantesca script, above top line.
Watermarks: unidentified cherries (?) in upper margin, trimmed.
- ff. ii + 120 + ii : paper ; 206 x 138 (110 x 76) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 259
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Topic)
Encyclopedias and dictionaries--Early works to 1600
Italian poetry--To 1400
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Cecco d'Ascoli, L'Acerba. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 259.
- Orbis Record
- More Information