Ciceronis Oratio Gn. pom. contra Mitridatem esse Imparatorem [sic] eligendum
- Ciceronis Oratio Gn. pom. contra Mitridatem esse Imparatorem [sic] eligendum
- Alternative Title
- Orator; Orationes
- Cicero, Marcus Tullius
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1450]
- Publication Place
- Northern [?] Italy
- Manuscript on paper, composed of two distinct parts. Part I (ff. 1-48): Cicero, Orator ad M. Brutum. Part II (ff. 49-114): Cicero, Orationes.
Binding: Nineteenth century, Italy. Brick red goatskin, blind-tooled. Bound for the Guarnieri-Balleani library (Iesi) in the same bindery as MS 450 and Marston MSS 72, 86, 181 and probably by the same binder. Title in ink on the tail edge, mostly illegible.
Heading and plain initial, in red, on f. 49r only.
Part I: Plain initials in red or blue; heading on f. 1r in red majuscules. Part II: Heading and plain initial, in red, on f. 49r only.
Purchased from C. A. Stonehill in 1959 by Thomas E. Marston.
Script: Each part written in humanistic cursive by a single scribe, above top line.
Watermarks: Part I: unidentified hunting horn, in gutter. Part II, in gutter: similar in design to Briquet Fruit 7380-81.
Written possibly in Northern Italy in the middle of the 15th century. Part II was copied by the humanist Stefano Guarnieri who never completed copying the text
- f. i + i + 114 : paper ; 210 x 145 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 182
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Guarnieri, Stefano--Manuscripts
- Subject (Topic)
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Oratory--Early works to 1800
Speeches, addresses, etc., Latin
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Cicero, Orator; Orationes. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 182.
- Orbis Record
- More Information