[Alchemical and medical miscellany]
- [Alchemical and medical miscellany]
- Alternative Title
- Published / Created
- ca. 1475
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on paper of a collection of the works of Nicolaus, mostly related to medicine. In addition the codex has interesting lists of substances in Latin and German, as well as a tract on the distillation of brandy.
Binding: Modern three-quarter binding of light brown buckram, plain brown niger back and corners, the back with five (false?) raised bands, gilt-lettered in the second compartment from the top, ANTIDOTARIUM NICOLAI, and at the foot of the spine, "AB. 1460". Plain edges.
Blank binder's leaves not scanned.
Large capitals in red at text divisions, sometimes with slight pen ornament, other capitals stroked red throughout, fancy ascenders on top lines transgressing the upper rules and stroked red, similar descenders occasionally below the bottom bordering line, usually not colored.
Modern pencil foliation.
Script: Neatly written in a gothic cursive hand.
Watermarks: Two batches of unidentified paper watermarked with a gothic "P," the mark plain and smaller in one batch, larger and surmounted by a trefoil in the other.
- ff. ii + 99 + ii : paper ; 283 x 184 (195 x 135) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
German, Middle High (ca.1050-1500)
- Call Number
- Mellon MS 15
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Duveen, Denis I., bookplate
Nicolaus, Salernitanus, 12th cent.
- Subject (Topic)
Alchemy--Early works to 1800
Distilling--Early works to 1800
Latin language--Glossaries, vocabularies, etc.--Early works to 1800
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Alchemical and Medical Miscellany. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Witten, Laurence C. and Pachella, Richard. Alchemy and the Occult: A Catalogue of Books and Manuscripts from the Collection of Paul and Mary Mellon. Volume Three: Manuscripts, Mellon MS 15.
- Orbis Record
- More Information