- Twinger, Jakob, von Konigshofen, 1346-1420
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on paper of the A-recension of Twinger's Chronicle which was written in 1386. Chapter 1: History of the Ancient World, based on the Bible and classical sources (ff. 2r-32v); 2: History of the Roman Emperors from Julius Caesar to King Wenceslas (ff. 32v-101r); 3: History of the Popes (ff. 101v-135r); 4: History of the Bishops of Strasbourg (ff. 135v-158v); 5: History of Strasbourg and Alsace (ff. 159v-225v). With a short passage referring to the war of the Swiss in Alsace and the Black Forest in 1468, added in a later hand. and MS 421 belongs to the A-recension of Twinger's Chronicle which was written in 1386. MS 421 represents an abbreviated and earlier recension than that published in the printed text (C-recension); in addition to being in an abbreviated form, Chapter 5 contains a different sequence of text.
Written in a cursive book hand by a single scribe. Numerous annotations to the text in margins by a later hand.
- ff. 250 + ii : paper ; 272 x 200 (210 x 140) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 421
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Chronicle. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 421.
- Orbis Record
- More Information