Ketubah : Florence, Italy, 1880, August 15
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Ketubah : Florence, Italy, 1880, August 15
- Ketubah : Florence, Italy, 1880, August 15
- Published / Created
- 1880 August 15
- Publication Place
- Florence, Italy
Marriage contract, manuscript, ink and paint on vellum cut in the shape of an arch, dated 8th of Elul 5640 (1880) at Firentsi. The text is written in Italian block letters, however the ink of the text is somewhat faded in places. Painted vegetal flourishes and blessings for the bride and groom serve as a decorative border around the text. At the top of the ketubah is the verse ""I wait for Thy salvation, O Lord"" (Gen. 49:18) and two biblical scenes painted in miniature: the binding of Isaac and Jacob�s dream of the angels on the ladder. The angels, in a most unusual depiction, are descending stairs with outstretched swords, as if about to do battle.
Bride: Le'ah bat Yosef Montefiori.
Bridegroom: Yitshak Enriko ben Binyamin Zalman Vita.
63 x 49 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
Official Aramaic (700-300 BCE); Imperial Aramaic (700-300 BCE)
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Hebrew MSS suppl 201 (Broadside)
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
- Subject (Geographic)
- Italy --Florence --Religious life and customs
- Subject (Name)
Montefiori, Le'ah bat Yosef
Vita, Yitshak Enriko ben Binyamin Zalman
- Subject (Topic)
Ketubah --Italy --Florence
Prenuptial agreements (Jewish law)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)