Sketchbook of a cruise on the Foudroyant, 1800-1806.
- Sketchbook of a cruise on the Foudroyant, 1800-1806.
- Knight, Ellis Cornelia, 1757-1837
- Published / Created
- Sketchbook containing 37 watercolors done by Ellis Cornelia Knight while on board Lord Nelson's flagship the Foudroyant with Sir William and Lady Emma Hamilton in 1800. Twenty-six sketches are views taken from the ship off the coast of Sicily, under sail to Malta, and returning from Malta to Palermo. There are also sketches taken in Palermo prior to sailing, and on excursions from the ship near Syracuse. Sketch 2, for example, shows the villa of Prince Ventimiglieri in Palermo; sketch 19 shows an excursion party rowing near Syracuse. There is an index at the back of the volume.
Binding: contemporary full calf; gilt decoration.
Ellis Cornelia Knight (1757-1837), writer, governess and protégé of Lady Emma Hamilton, whom she broke with after Lady Hamilton's affair with Lord Nelson became public knowledge in England. Knight's works include Dinarbas: A Tale (1790) and Sir Guy de Lusignan (1833).
Inscribed on verso of flyleaf by Knight: "This book was commenced at Palermo in Sicily, 1800. Finished at Windsor, 1806."
Some captions on versos erased.
- 1 v. (47 p.) ; 14 cm x 19 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Osborn d485
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Geographic)
Malta --Description and travel. Malta --Description and travel
Mediterranean Coast (Italy) --Description and travel
Sicily --Description and travel
- Subject (Name)
Hamilton, Emma, Lady, 1761?-1815
Hamilton, William, Sir, 1730-1803
Knight, Ellis Cornelia, 1757-1837
Nelson, Horatio Nelson, Viscount, 1758-1805
- Subject (Topic)
Napoleonic Wars, 1800-1815 --Naval operations, British
Napoleonic Wars, 1800-1815 --Personal narratives
Travelers’ writings, English
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record