Letters to England, circa 1684-85
- Letters to England, circa 1684-85
- Preston, Richard Graham, Viscount, 1648-1695
- Published / Created
- circa 1684-85
- Publication Place
- Manuscript, in a single hand, of a letterbook containing several hundred diplomatic letters from Paris and dated between 16 August 1684 and 22 August 1685, during the time of Preston’s stint as envoy extraordinary to the court of France. The letters report on the Truce of Ratisbon; the French decision to declare an English vessel captured by privateers as "a good prize"; and imminent ratifications to be exchanged between France and Spain. Other letters mention Preston’s attempts to obtain redress for English citizens in France; and some letters contain personal information, as in a note in 1684 which mentions his wife’s pregnancy and his son’s illness. The principal recipient of the letters is Robert Spencer, 2nd Earl of Sunderland; other recipients include George Fitzroy, Duke of Northumberland; George Savile, 1st Marquis of Halifax; George Gordon, 1st Duke of Gordon; Charles Howard, 1st Earl of Carlisle; Charles Middleton, 2nd Earl of Middleton; Sir Thomas Exton; Sir Stephen Fox; Sir Christopher Musgrave; and Sir John Werden (Worden).
Blanks not scanned.
Several errors in pagination.
1 v. (228 [i.e. 226] p.)
38 x 25 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Osborn fb83
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Subject (Geographic)
France --Court and courtiers
France --Foreign relations --Great Britain
France --Politics and government
Great Britain --Foreign relations --France
Great Britain --Intellectual life --17th century
- Subject (Name)
Carlisle, Charles Howard, 1st earl of, 1629-1685
Exton, Thomas, Sir, 1631-1688
Fox, Stephen, Sir, 1627-1716
Gordon, George Gordon, Duke of, 1649-1716
Halifax, George Savile, Marquis of, 1633-1695
Louis XIV, King of France, 1638-1715
Middleton, Charles Middleton, 2d earl of, 1650?-1719
Musgrave, Christopher, Sir, 1632?-1704
Northumberland, George Fitzroy, Duke of, 1665-1716
Preston, Richard Graham, Viscount, 1648-1695
Sunderland, Robert Spencer, 2d Earl of, 1640-1702
Werden, John, Sir, 1640-1716
- Subject (Topic)
- Ratisbon, Treaty of, 1684
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record