Annotations in the Spectator, 1794-1812.
- Annotations in the Spectator, 1794-1812.
- Piozzi, Hester Lynch, 1741-1821
- Published / Created
- Extensive holograph annotations in The spectator (London: Printed by H. Hughs, for Messrs. Payne, Rivington, Davis ...,1789).
Armorial bookplate of Thomas Hughes in volumes 1-7.
Binding: contemporary sprinkled calf, gilt. Spines gilt with red morocco gilt title labels.
Formerly owned by Prince Albert. Ex libris Thomas Hughes. Formerly owned by the Carl H. Pforzheimer Library. Formerly owned by Paula Peyraud. Purchased from Bernard Quaritch, Ltd. on the Herman W. Liebert Book Fund, 2009.
Hester Thrale Piozzi (1741-1821), author and diarist, published one of the first biographies of Samuel Johnson, Anecdotes of the Late Samuel Johnson (1786); her Thraliana, a combined diary and commonplace book, was not published until 1942.
Ownership inscription on front flyleaf of volume 1: H. L. Piozzi. 1794.
Ownership inscription on front pastedown of volume 8: H.R.H. given to him by her Majesty Victoria.
Piozzi's annotations range from brief notes on the text of the essays to lengthy anecdotes; quotations from and comments on other English authors; and social and historical observations. There are eight references to Samuel Johnson, and several to the Prince of Wales; other historical figures mentioned include the Duke of Marlborough and Lord Nelson. Historical observations include the disappearance of road signposts; changes in the staging of Shakespeare's plays; variations in women's fashions and in attitudes toward women authors. Piozzi also includes personal reminiscences and corrections to the text.
- 8 v.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- GEN MSS VOL 527
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
- Resource Type
- Books, Journals & Pamphlets
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain--Social life and customs--18th century
- Subject (Name)
Addison, Joseph, 1672-1719.
Albert, Prince Consort of Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1861--Autograph
George IV, King of Great Britain, 1762-1830--Anecdotes
Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784--Anecdotes
Peyraud, Paula, 1947-2008--Ownership
Pforzheimer, Carl H. (Carl Howard), 1879-1957
Piozzi, Hester Lynch, 1741-1821
Piozzi, Hester Lynch, 1741-1821--Autograph
Steele, Richard, 1629-1692.
- Subject (Topic)
Books and reading--Great Britain
English literature--18th century
English poetry--18th century
English prose literature--18th century
Spectator (London, England : 1711)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Hester Lynch Piozzi, Annotations in The Spectator. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record