[Photograph album of Snake River].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > [Photograph album of Snake River].
- [Photograph album of Snake River].
- Savage, C. R. (Charles Roscoe), 1832-1909, photographer
- Published / Created
- [circa 1880]
- Publication Place
Photograph album with photographs taken by C. R. Savage of Snake River in Idaho, circa 1880. Depicted are the Shoshone Falls, Blue Lakes, and a ferry crossing the river
Charles Roscoe Savage (1832-1909), British-born landscape photographer of the American West, joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1848. In 1856, Savage immigrated to New York and began photography assignments from the LDS Church. He moved with his family to Salt Lake City, Utah, in 1860. In 1862, he formed a partnership with George Martin Ottinger--the firm, Savage & Ottinger, was legally dissolved in 1870. From 1870 to 1875, Savage ran the Pioneer Art Gallery; from 1875 to 1883, he ran the Art Bazaar. His negatives were destroyed in a fire on 1883 June 26; the Art Bazaar, however, remained open until 1926, when Savage's sons closed its doors permanently.
Captions in English.
Captions in the negative.
Title devised by cataloger.
Place of creation and date supplied by cataloger.
- 24 photographs in 1 album : photographs 10 x 13 cm and smaller
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- WA Photos 727
- Container / Volume
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- albumen prints ;
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
Blue Lakes (Idaho)
Shoshone Falls (Idaho)
Snake River, South Fork (Idaho)
- Subject (Name)
- Savage, C. R. 1832-1909. (Charles Roscoe),
- Subject (Topic)
Savage, C. R. (Charles Roscoe), 1832-1909
Ferries > Idaho > Pictorial works
Blue Lakes (Idaho) > Pictorial works
Idaho > Pictorial works
Shoshone Falls (Idaho) > Pictorial works
Snake River, South Fork (Idaho) > Pictorial works
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- C. R. Savage, Photograph Album of Snake River. Yale Collection of Western Americana, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)