The Mirrour of the Blessed Lyf of Jesu Christ; Adam of Dryburgh; Thirty-Nine Articles
- The Mirrour of the Blessed Lyf of Jesu Christ; Adam of Dryburgh; Thirty-Nine Articles
- Alternative Title
- Meditationes vitae Christi. English
- Adam, of Dryburgh, ca. 1140-1212 and Love, Nicholas, fl. 1410
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1450, between 1600 and 1700]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on paper composed of two parts. Part I: The Mirrour of the Blessed Lyf of Jesu Christ (Meditationes vitae Christi), tr. Nicholas Love. Includes Adam of Dryburgh (Adam Scotus) O. Praem, later O. Carth. (d. 1212), De instructione animae; ends incomplete in I.4. Part II: The Thirty-Nine Articles (doctrinal formulas accepted by the Church of England), articles 1-19 only, in diagram form, all pages being organized in three sections titled "the truth", "the creed", and "errors".
Majuscules are heightened in red (?) up to f. 8v. Red paragraph marks (?). Plain red 2- to 4-line initials. A 4-line red (?) flourished initial with rather coarse penwork in (?), including a human head and a fish, on f. 1r.
Script: Part I: Written by two scribes in Gothica Cursiva Libraria (Secretary very close to Anglicana). Part II: Written in careful Gothica Cursiva (Secretary).
Two parchment fly-leaves of the original binding are inserted after f. 100; they have been taken from a 13th-century manuscript and contain fragments of Codex Iustiniani, VI.3.
- ff. iii + 102 : paper ; 290 x 215 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 535
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Charts (Graphic documents)
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Church of England
Love, Nicholas, fl. 1410
- Subject (Topic)
Devotional literature, English (Middle)
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- The Mirrour of the Blessed Lyf of Jesu Christ. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information