Psalter-Hymnal; Gospel of St. Mark in Anglo-Saxon (fragm.)
- Psalter-Hymnal; Gospel of St. Mark in Anglo-Saxon (fragm.)
- Published / Created
- 13-- and 10--
- Publication Place
Binding: Original undecorated leather over oak boards (?). Spine with three raised bands. Traces (?) of one clasp.
Cataloged from microfilm by Albert Derolez.
In Latin and Anglo-Saxon.
N.R. Ker, Catalogue of Manuscripts containing Anglo-Saxon (Oxford, 1957), no. 1. R.L. Collins, Anglo-Saxon Vernacular Manuscripts in America (New York, 1976), pp. 36-37. Exhibition Catalogue: W. Cahn and J. Marrow, eds., Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts at Yale: A Selection, Yale University Library Gazette 52 (1978), no. 7. R.M. Liuzza (ed.), The Old English Version of the Gospels. Early English Text Society, vol. 1 (Oxford, 1994), pp. XLI-XLII. R.M. Liuzza , ed., The Yale Fragments of the West Saxon Gospels, Anglo-Saxon England, 17 (1988), pp. 67-82 (transcription pp. 80-82).
Names of three sixteenth-century owners are written in the margins of ff. 6r (Wyllyam Medlyecott), 54v (Wyllyam Emey), 89v, 91r, 92r (Wyllyam Hendeley etc.); the name of a seventeenth-century owner appears in the outer margin of f. 104r (Iohannes Browne). Belonged successively to Sir Sydney Cockerell, C.H. St. John Hornby (MS 70) and Major John Roland Abbey, Storrington, Sussex (J.A. 3243). Sotheby sale, 24 March 1975, item 2955. Purchased from H.P. Kraus, 19 June 1975.
Psalter-Hymnal. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
The decoration consists of 1-line plain initials alternately in red and blue in the text; 2-line flourished initials in blue with red penwork with marginal extensions; 3- and 5-line litterae duplices with partial or full penwork borders (J-motifs) as indicated in art. 2. Litterae duplices also on ff. 116r, 133v, 143v (artt. 3, 6 and 7).
Written for a Benedictine monastery in England dedicated to St. Peter. A series of Saints in the Calendar and in the Litany point to south-west England, perhaps Cerne or Abbotsbury. The Calendar (art. 1) was probably added early in the fifteenth century and points to Tewkesbury abbey, as appears from the prominent place given to St. Wulstan and the mentioning of two other Worcester saints, Oswald and Egwin, and the note on the death of John Abyndon, abbot of Tewkesbury (c. 1444).
Manuscript on parchment. Copied by three scribes, all writing Northern Gothica Textualis Formata. A copied the Calendar (art. 1), probably in the beginning of the fifteenth century; B is the main scribe, copying all following pages up to f. 180v, l. 9. The rest (= art. 8) is copied by hand C, using two sizes of script. B and C are marked by an unusually large number of fusions. A few corrections have been made by a hand using Secretary. The fragment (art. 9) is copied in careful Anglo-Saxon Minuscule.
- ff. 186 : parchment ; 150 x 105 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 578
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- More Information