Letters to Rodolfo Pio di Savoia (Cardinal di Carpi)
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Letters to Rodolfo Pio di Savoia (Cardinal di Carpi)
- Letters to Rodolfo Pio di Savoia (Cardinal di Carpi)
- Manuzio, Paolo, 1512-1574, creator
- Manuzio, Paolo, 1512-1574
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
Manusript on paper of 6 autograph letters of various sizes. The printer Paolo Manuzio (Paulus Manutius, 1512-1574), son of Aldus Manutius, wrote these letters to his benefactor Cardinal Rodolfo Pio di Savoia of Carpi (1500?-1564) in the hope of being appointed head of the Tridentine publishing house in Rome (which he indeed was 1561-1570).
H.G. Fletcher, Paulus Manutius in Aedibus Populi Romani. The Campaign for Rome, in D.S. Zeidberg (ed.), Aldus Manutius and Renaissance Culture. Essays in Memory of Franklin D. Murphy (Florence, 1989), pp. 287-321.
6 letters on paper of various sizes. The letters are autograph, written in rapid Humanistica Cursiva, except art. 2 which is calligraphied in the same script and in which the closing formula and the signature only are autograph, and art. 3*. Most letters show traces of the red wax seal. From several leaves triangular sections have been cut off, without loss of text.
Cite as: Paolo Manuzio, Letters to Rodolfo Pio di Savoia (Cardinal di Carpi). General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 692
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Paolo Manuzio, Letters to Rodolfo Pio di Savoia (Cardinal di Carpi). General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)
- More Information