Enarrationes in Psalmos
- Enarrationes in Psalmos
- Augustine, Saint, Bishop of Hippo
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment of 1) St. Augustine (Aurelius Augustinus), Enarrationes in Psalmos 134-150. Contemporary corrections in the margins. 2) First half of Ps.-Iohannes Chrysostomus, Sermo de martyribus. 3) Antiphons for the feast of the Conception of the Virgin (8 Dec.), with neumatic notation. In the outer margins the Psalm formulas are indicated by letters or letter groups in circles or rectangles. The outer side of the quires is hair side. Holes, original repairs and sometimes irregular lower edges. Copied in Praegothica: art. 1 is apparently the work of one scribe, A; B copied art. 2, C copied art. 3, adopting a smaller size on f. 140 to save space. Neumatic notation in art. 3.
Binding: Early (probably original) binding in porkskin over heavy unbevelled wooden boards. The covers are blind-tooled with fillets. On the front cover the fillets make a St. Andrews cross, at a later time decorated with trees in Lederschnitt, countless small circular stamps and a few stars (?); the rear cover, with fillets in lozenge pattern, has only the circular stamps and the stars. Spine with three raised bands. On each cover marks of five brass and iron bosses. Two clasps attached to the rear cover. At the top of the front cover an original paper library label with the title (partly rewritten) Expositio beati Augustini super Psalmo CXXXIIII et deinceps usque ad finem. The binding is strengthened by means of parchment strips placed around the first quire and taken from a 13th-century Latin manuscript.
Headings in red. Art. 1 has plain initials (Capitalis, ca. 4 lines) in red, followed by a word in Capitalis/Uncialis. The book opens with an 8-line Romanesque decorated initial in red and black. Art. 2 opens with a black capital followed by two words in Capitalis. Art. 3 is decorated with 1-line initials in black with heightening in red and opens with a 4-line red plain initial.
Cite as: Saint Augustine, Enarrationes in Psalmos. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
On the front paste-down the handwritten 20th-century ownership-mark: van Aalst. Gilze / Holland - A 306 - HS. Purchased on the Edwin J. Beinecke Fund.
- ff. 141 : parchment ; 227 x 195 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 699
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Saint Augustine, Enarrationes in Psalmos. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information