Le testament; Raoul de Houdenc, Le Songe d'Enfer
- Le testament; Raoul de Houdenc, Le Songe d'Enfer
- Jean, de Meun, d. 1305?, creator
- Published / Created
- between 1300 and 1350
- Publication Place
- Northern France
Binding: Nineteenth-century. Half brown leather over pasteboard, the boards covered with red paper. On the spine a black leather label with the gold-tooled title CODICILLE / I. DE MEUN and a green circular paper label with the handwritten shelfmark 301.
Cite as: Jean de Meun, Le Testament. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
Collection Joseph Barrois (1784-1855). Acquired in 1849 by Lord Ashburnham (1797-1878; MS 301 in his collection). Sotheby sale of the Ashburnham manuscripts, London, 10-14 June 1901 (lot 304). Purchased by J. and J. Leighton, booksellers in London, and sold by them the same year. From an unknown date in the collection of Jules (dit Julien) Chappee, at Le Mans. At his death (1957) the manuscript passed into the hands of Claude Vaudecrane (Le Mans). It was purchased in 1989 (?) from Laurence Witten on the Edwin J. Beinecke Fund.
Manuscript on parchment of 1) Jean de Meun (ca. 1240, d. before 1305), Le Testament. 2) Raoul de Houdenc (ca. 1170-ca. 1230), Le Songe d'Enfer (La Voie d'Enfer), 1-672. At least 6 verses are missing at the end; they were probably written on a leaf now missing after f. 18. Low quality parchment. The outer side of the quires is flesh side. The codex is badly trimmed, causing the loss of letters at the end of verses. Copied by one hand in a rather uneven Northern Gothica Textualis Libraria, marked by many fusions.
The opening letters of all verses are heightened in red; in art. 1 the first verse of each quatrain except the first one opens with a 1-line plain red initial. Art. 1 opens with a 3-line plain red initial, art. 2 with a 2-line one. All initials are executed over guide-letters.
- ff. i + 18 + i : parchment ; 215 x 165 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
French, Old (842-ca.1400)
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 703
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- M. Friedwagner, Die Ashburnham-Handschrift des Songe d'Enfer von Raoul de Houdenc, in Festschrift zum VIII. allgemeinen deutschen Neuphilologentage in Wien (Vienna, 1898), pp. 223-238. M. Timmel Mihm, The Songe d'Enfer of Raoul de Houdenc: An Edition based on all the Extant Manuscripts. Beihefte zur Zeitschrift fuer Romanische Philologie, v. 190 (Tuebingen, 1984), pp. 26-30.
- Orbis Record
- More Information