[Sketch of the ship Probus]
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > [Sketch of the ship Probus]
- [Sketch of the ship Probus]
- Windeler, Adolphus
- Probus (Ship)
- Published / Created
The journal describes an 1849 voyage to San Francisco by way of Cape Horn, working in the bay unloading ships, and the daily routine of gold mining. Windeler, with eight others, formed a company and their account books, containing entries for various other companies, are laid in his journal. There are 107 pencil sketches illustrating the journal, some of which might be attributed to Windeler's friend Carl Christendorff.
- Windeler was a native of Hamburg, Germany who sailed from New York to California as a member of the crew of the ship Probus.
- 1 sketch ; graphite ; 7.5 x 19.5 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been partially digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- WA MSS S-748
- Collection Title
- Voyage to California, 1849-1853.
- Collection Date
- Container / Volume
- Box 1
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Adolphus Windeler, Voyage to California. Western Americana Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
Goddard, J. M. and C. Kritzler. Catalogue of the Beinecke Western Americana Manuscripts 276.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)
- More Information