Newstead Abbey in Nottinghamshire [art original]
Lewis Walpole Library > Newstead Abbey in Nottinghamshire [art original]
- Newstead Abbey in Nottinghamshire [art original]
- Barrow, Joseph Charles, artist
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
A view of Newstead Abbey as seen from the front beyond the surrounding stone wall. Two boys, one leaning on the wall the other sitting on it, watch as a coach pulls around the circular drive, in the center of which stands a fountain
Title and artist from ms. note on verso in Horace Walpole's hand.
Inscribed by artist in lower right corner of image: "J.C. Barrow."
Ms. note in pencil, in an unidentified hand, on mount below image: "In the summer of 1798, B. [i.e. Byron] took possession of Newstead Abbey. Drawing was bought at the sale of Horace Walpole's collection, Strawberry Hill, in the year 1842."
Probably part of the collection sold at the StrawberryHill sale, viii, 154, dispersed as described in A.T. Hazen's Catalogue of Horace Walpole's library, no. 3678.
Formerly shelved as part of the SH Views collection.
- 1 drawing : image 23.4 x 34 cm, mount 28.1 x 37.3 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 49 3678.38+ (Oversize)
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Watercolors British 18th century
- watercolor with pen and ink ; and wove paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Subject (Name)
Byron, George Gordon Byron, Baron, 1788-1824
- Subject (Topic)
Homes and haunts
Byron, George Gordon Byron, Baron, 1788-1824 > Homes and haunts > England > Nottinghamshire
Abbeys > England > Nottinghamshire
British > 18th century
Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 > Ms. notes
Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 > Ownership
Dwellings > England > Nottinghamshire
Historic buildings > England > Nottinghamshire
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Joseph Charles Barrow, Newstead Abbey in Nottinghamshire. The Lewis Walpole Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)